Re: Apache mod_pagespeed

'Twas brillig, and Daniel P. Brown at 03/11/10 19:34 did gyre and gimble:
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 14:48, Shreyas Agasthya <shreyasbr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Thiago,
>>
>> I would like to join this. Let me know how I can help you with this. Please
>> be explicit with your requests so that we can totally test it  and see if it
>> could pose any risk to acceleration services provided by CDNs.
>
>     I've yet to read the specs behind it (I was out of the office),
> but from the overview I did see, it should not only be of no detriment
> to CDNs.  In fact, Google is working with an existing company,
> Cotendo, to integrate the core into their CDN.

Yeah it seems like a nice idea. Basically we already do a "pre-process
stage where we minify css and js before we deploy the application (dev
versions are nicely verbose so that the "javascript error on line 1"
debugging does not plague us!). We also try to pngcrush pngs and
optimise jpegs etc.

But this module seems to do all that stuff for you on the fly which is
pretty nice. It would save over head in terms of application deployment
processes here and I'd likely be happier using it than doing all this
stuff myself.

That said, it's often nice to think about these things rather and learn
about the consequences than just blunder on and hope for the best. This
module will result in a bit of "dumbing down" of devs, but that's not to
say I'm against it generally.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie