include() and duplicate function definition

Hi Thijs, :-)

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 20:38, Thijs Lensselink <dev@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I re-read your original post. And noticed you include the function inside
> your child action.php
> Is there a special reason for that? You want to overwrite the original
> function in a child theme.
> probably to get different functionality. So why do you need the original
> function?
>
> Just create your action.php and define the same function.

It's a WordPress issue. When theme updates become available from the
original vendor, you can update them from within the admin backend. In
that case, any hacks you've applied (such as removing a function) get
overwritten. So the evangelized solution is to create a child theme.
The child theme incorporates only files that you've added or changed,
with the original parent theme being used for all others.

Easy peasy if you want to *add* a function.

But, if you want to *modify* a function, you're faced with the problem
of the original function still being present in the parent theme files
and of your having to define a function of the same name in your child
theme (if you change the function name, you then have to hack other
code further upstream, and the work involved becomes not worth the
bother). Somehow, I would need to make my hacked function *replace*
the original function, *without* touching the original function...

It seems like that's not possible and I'll have to find another
solution... unless my explanation gives you any good ideas?

Just to put the dots on the I's, the original "actions.php" contains a
lot of *other* functions that I don't want to touch, and that I do
want to leave exposed to the updates process. It's just one single
function I want to hack...

Sticky problem, huh? :-)

In any case, thanks for your kind help, :-)

David Nelson

P.S. Sorry about the direct mails: I keep forgetting to hit the
"Replly to all" button.