Re: time zone ignored (both via ini or in code)

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> dude at this point i dont want to sound too much like a troll, but php 5.1
> is some really old software.  frankly this is why i chose not to run on
> centos during my evaluation of it.  i understand the concept behind running
> proven stable software, but i think centos is taking that notion to the
> extreme.  i would probly try building a more recent version of php from
> source and see if that helps.

That's OK, I knew this was coming. It's been a real struggle to be
deploying something so old, yet CentOS insists on nothing but 5.1 in
the packages unless you resort to some "volatile" repositories, which
kind of defeats the purpose (in my case, that is). I used to always go
with source directly but was really hoping to go the
somewhat-brainless "auto-update" route, sticking to yum packages and
all that.

At risk of sending this thread too far down an OS-specific path, can
anybody in the CentOS+PHP world comment on yum packages, 5.1, and this
actual issue?

(In the very beginning I scoured the Net, thinking surely 5.1.6 can't
be the standard on CentOS, but kept running into the "either go from
source yourself or use volatile repositories" claims, which aren't
good in an enterprise case, though I realize using source isn't "bad"
from that standpoint).

Dan