Re: Watermark with GD

"Tamara Temple" <tamouse.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:94DF613C-6B40-4897-B101-21CF7D83A763@xxxxxxxxxxxx

> On Oct 30, 2010, at 9:31 AM, Gary wrote:
>

>> "tedd" <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> Gary:
>>>
>>> Several things.
>>>
>>> 1. Getting an image from a database? You mean that you are getting  the
>>> path of the image in the file system, right?
>>>
>>> Side note: You could place the image inside the database using a  BLOB
>>> and
>>> do away with the path all together. That has the benefit of being
>>> portable -- you simply move the database to where ever you want it.  The
>>> downside is that the database becomes very large, but no more so  that
>>> the
>>> file system. There are pro's and con's in storing actual images in a
>>> database.
>>>
>>> 2. Using a GET is not the way to get the path. Instead, you have to
>>> retrieve the path from the database table where the path is stored --
>>> and that requires a MySQL query similar to "SELECT * FROM  <database>
>>> WHERE
>>> id=<whatever>". There are lot's of examples of how to pull data  from a
> [...]
>>>
>>> http://webbytedd.com/b/watermark/
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>>
>>> tedd
>>>
>>> --
>>> -------
>>> http://sperling.com/
>>>

>> tedd
>>
>> Thank you for your reply.
>>
>> I was under the impression that the image is stored in a folder called
>> images, in fact the images file do go in, however I have the DB set  up
>> for
>> longblob, averaging about 20kb each, so now I am unsure.  I exported  the
>> sql
>> so perhaps you can tell me.
>>
>> Table structure for table `images`
>> --
>>
>> CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `images` (
>>  `image_id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
>>  `caption` varchar(50) NOT NULL,
>>  `wheretaken` varchar(100) NOT NULL,
>>  `description` text NOT NULL,
>>  `file_name` varchar(25) NOT NULL,
>>  `image_file` longblob NOT NULL,
>>  `submitted` timestamp NOT NULL DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
>>  PRIMARY KEY (`image_id`)
>> ) ENGINE=InnoDB  DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=1447 ;
>>
>> When I call the images, which works fine, I do need to specify the  path
>> that
>> leads to the images folder. Am I being redundant in this structure.
>>
>> This is the script that I use to call the images. I have pulled out  some
>> of
>> the html that styles the data.
>>
>> <?php if ($totalRows_WADAimages > 0) { // Show if recordset not  empty ?>
>>          <?php echo $row_WADAimages["caption"]; ?>
>>  src="images/<?php echo $row_WADAimages["image_file"]; ?>" <?php echo
>> $row_WADAimages["description"]; ?>"
>>
>> <?php echo $row_WADAimages["where_taken"]; ?>
>>        <?php echo $row_WADAimages["description"]; ?>
>>
>> Thank you for your help.
>>
>> Gary
>
> is this the imageDetail.php script?
>
> From what it appears in the code, `image_file` is holding the file  name
> rather than the actual image. Yet you have `image_file` defined  as a
> longblob, which would make sense if you were storing the actual  image
> data in the data base rather than on the file system. As Ashley  noted,
> you can do it either way. I notice you also have a field  `file_name` --
> what is this used for? It sounds like your design is a  bit off -- neither
> one way or the other. The php shown doesn't look  complete enough,
> though -- where is the img tag and such? Also, going  in and out of php on
> each line is kind of a waste and looks sloppy. If  i read that code right,
> it would emit something like this:
>

> caption text
> src="images/pathtoimagefile" description text
>
> where taken text
> description text
>
> Look at the html that's emitted from the script and see if that's what
> you get.
>
> Can you post or pastebin more of the .php script so I can see more of

Tamara

Thanks for the reply, here is a link to the code of the page.

http://www.paulgdesigns.com/detailcode.php

Again, thank you for your help.

Gary

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5578 (20101031) __________