Re: Character encoding hell

On Oct 26, 2010, at 11:38 AM, Marc Guay wrote:

>> Are you using UTF-8?
>
> Could you be more specific?  Do you mean in the browser/php header or
> in the filesystem?  I created the file on a Windows machine,
> transferred them to a Linux machine, and the encoding of the page is
> UTF-8.
>
> I just noticed a strange thing which might shed some light.  If I just
> run htmlentities() on the href, it shows this in the browser URL:
>
> LE CHÂT.pdf
>
> But the browser returns a "not found" error:
>
> LE%20CH%C3%82T.pdf
>
> It seems like the  character is being misunderstood as "Â"

I apologize for the vagueness. I was referring to the browser/php header or a meta tag.

Something to the effect of this quick copy paste from a site that uses accent marks and umlauts:

 If I am understanding correctly, you are referring to a HTML specific issue where the HTML and browser configuration is displaying your characters improperly?