Re: the state of the PHP community

On 10-07-29 10:18 PM, David McGlone wrote:
On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 22:14 -0400, Robert Cummings wrote:
Early high school I used to program in basic on a TRS-80. Oh how I loved
saving my programs to audio cassette. Later in high school I learned
pascal and then later qbasic. Later still I studied computer science and
was exposed to many different languages  C, C++, Smalltalk, Java,
Scheme, Prolog, Perl, JavaScript, HTML, VRML, SQL that I remember. When
I finished university I walked straight into a PHP job knowing not an
iota of PHP. I came up to speed the first week and fell in love with it.
That was around March 2000. The company there always used Java also, as
part of a desktop suite to manage the web content. Towards the end of
2002 they began an effort to create a Java based web framework to
parallel their PHP framework and so I used Java more at that time. Then
the dot com crash caught up with them and layoffs ensued.

What High School did you go to? What year? As far as I remember when I
was in HS, nothing about computers was offered. this was back in '88.

I was attending the Nechako Valley Secondary School in Vanderhoof, British Columbia, Canada in 1989 when I was learning Pascal. Now that I think of it more deeply, it wasn't Qbasic in high schoool, it was Watcom Basic while attending Timmins High & Vocational School in Timmins, Ontario, Canada in 1990 or 1991. Qbasic was at home :) Actually, I'm not sure about Timmins for the Watcom Basic, it might have been Lockerby Composite in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. I attended 4 different high schools. Some if it is blurry now :)

Cheers,
Rob.
--
E-Mail Disclaimer: Information contained in this message and any
attached documents is considered confidential and legally protected.