Re: the state of the PHP community

Nathan:

What other languages and web techs do you currently use other than PHP?
- if you include html or css please include version, if js then preferred libs, and whether client or server side.

Besides php, I use mysql, javascript (jQuery, ajax, DOM scripting), css, and html. As for versions, I use whatever works for most browsers. I'm big on validation and cross browser support.

------------

What's your previous language/tech trail?

Besides at least a dozen languages that I've forgot, I remember Machine (1,0), Assembly, FORTRAN, LISP, TI, Pascal, Postscript, Apple Basic, MS Basic, Future Basic, ANSI C, C, C++, html, shtml, cgi, perl, javascript (jQuery, ajax), css, php, and mysql.

I should also include devise languages like those found in Casio, Texas Instruments (TI), Hewlett Packard (HP), Apple, plotters, printers, scanners, cameras, digitizers, modems, PDA's, circuit boards, eprom readers/programmers, and a host of other devices.

At this point in my life, they all look the same to me. It's just that some have more features than others.

------------

Are you considering any new languages or techs, and if so which?
 - names / links

Objective C -- it's a Mac thing. I'm developing applications for iPad and Mac to work with the net.

------------

Is PHP your hobby/interest, primary development language, just learning or?

I create web applications for a living by following clients needs. Sometimes the clients make sense and other times they don't. In both cases I try to produce something useful for them.

------------

How many years have you been using PHP regularly?

Looking through my email, my first exposure to php was in 2000 -- from there it grew on me. It was a way to get web sites to do stuff. I previously used shtml, cgi, and perl, but they left a lot to be desired.

------------

How many years have you been working with web technologies?

My first Internet experience was in 1987, where I transferred a large amount of medical data (heart recordings) from Harvard Medical to Michigan State University. It took seconds for the transfer, but my dial-up 28k (I think) modem took hours to download to my computer (Mac). That was my first realization that something was different about the net.

In 1993/4, I started surfing the net using Gopher (all text based) and moved on/up from there.

I developed my first web site circa 1996/7 -- here's a wayback machine report of my 1998 web site:

http://web.archive.org/web/19980420225733/http://sperling.com/

------------

Did you come from a non-web programming background?

Unless you're under ten years of age, we all came from a non-web programming background.

My formal education is in Geology and Geophysics -- see:

http://geophysics.com (<-- my past life)

For my business, I did a lot of Geoscience programming.

I used an Apple ][ to complete my MSc -- there was a lot of Geophysical analysis via a micro-computer (that's what we called them back then) for my thesis. In fact, I was the first to turn in my thesis to MSU as an original document. All previous submissions were photocopies with white-out. Mine was the first done on a word-processor before MSU knew what word processors were.

Additionally, I was the first to create a micro-computer Geophysical Workstation (MASA 1981) and the first to be nationally accredited (1984 AAPG) with finding oil using a micro-computer (Apple ][).

That was back before Oil became a four letter word.

My education in programming has been self taught (with a little college) and now I teach programming (et al) at the local college.

Please realize that much of what we learn for the web is not taught in college -- they simply have not caught up to the technology. Getting formal education to provide something new to students is like mating elephants -- there's a lot of noise and it takes over two years for anything to develop. Two years is a lifetime in web development.

------------

Is your primary role web developer or designer?

Web Developer, but clients usually like my designs (most of which I steal and alter).

------------

In your developer life, are you an employer, and employee, contractor, freelancer, part of a team of equal standing members?

Not knowing what the difference is, I'm a contractor/freelancer.

------------

Do you tend to work on jobs for geo-local clients, clients in the same country, or do you work internationally 'on the web'?

I work where ever clients want me. I have worked on sites all over the world. A good percentage of my clients are local to me, but they are not the majority. Location doesn't mean much on the web.

------------

How do you get your projects? do they come to you, word of mouth, do you hunt and bid for projects, code call, visit clients, target clients individually you think you can help, or?
- not looking for trade secrets, just to get enough for an overall picture.

Projects just come to me.

I have given up on "services" like guru.com. While some programmers find work from places like that, I don't. Most of the projects where I submitted proposals were for "employers" who were just fishing for ideas so they could either do it themselves or hire someone cheaper. It was a big waste of my time!

Side Note: Back when I charged $50 per hour (I now charge $75), I had one client tell me "I've never paid a programmer $50 per hour. The most I've ever paid was $25 -- would you work for that?" I replied "Certainly, but it's going to take me twice as long to get anything done." I didn't get the job. A year later the client contacted me again, but I still didn't get the job.

------------

Do you have any frustrations with the PHP community, do you find you want to talk shop but can't, or find people to work with but can't, have projects in mind you want to do but can't find people to do them with etc?

No, not really. This list does an excellent job for php as does most other lists for their specialities (i.e., css, js, mysql, and so on).

My only complaint for all list is that web development is not limited to one language but encompasses many different languages. As I often say on the css list (to which they never reply) "CSS does not exist in a vacuum". It lives with other languages and in that fact lies the need to understand those relationships. Apparently they don't agree.

I say -- What is the use of any language without understanding it's strengths and weaknesses? And how to best use the strengths and compensate for the weaknesses.

------------

Do you network with other PHP'ers in real life - meetups etc, do you tend to shy away, or do you find you circulate in other web related but non PHP focussed communities?

"Real-life" -- what's that?

As for other real-life php programmers, I've heard that they exist, but like UFO's I haven't seen any.

Apparently, there is one php programmer local to me, namely Adam Richardson, but I have not had the time to set up a meeting. I'm afraid that the world will end, or he'll offer me a red pill, or something like that.

------------

Are you a member or any other web tech communities, opensource efforts, or standardization bodies - again, if so which?

I lurk everywhere and contribute as I can -- everything interest me. I seem to fit the definition of a moron, namely mental age of 7-12, lacking social skills, but I find everything entertaining.

Are there any efforts, projects or initiatives which are floating your boat right now and that your watching eagerly (or getting involved with)?

Only the projects that I am working on. They take up most of my time.

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------