Re: Fastest way to find out if a string contains a certain character?

On 27 July 2010 11:27, Ashley Sheridan <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 09:30 +0200, Gary wrote:
>
>> I know there are a number of possible ways of doing this, but I was just
>> wondering if there is an accepted way of doing so which is better
>> than others, performance wise. An idiom, if you like.
>>

> If you only need to find if a string contains the character and not its
> position, then strstr() (or strchr(), but according to the manual they
> are both the same) is the fastest route to go down. Using strpos() is
> slower because it has to return the actual position of what you were
> looking for, and a regex will be the slowest of all (and one would have
> to question the sanity of someone using a regex to find a single
> character in a string!)

I doubt there will be a noticeable difference between strstr and
strpos - returning a bool is not faster than returning an integer.
Would have to check the actual php source to see how the two are
implemented to see if there's any real difference that might make a
difference in speed.

Regards
Peter

--