Re: Determining the similarity between a user supplied short piece of text (between 5 and 15 characters) and a list of similar length text items.

There is an algorithm called longest common sub sequence.
If you can find the longest common sub sequence of the strings of
database for the given string and sort it, you'll get the most matched
word.
But I think this algo is developed already and available in your
context. It's name can be different.
As a developer I am not sure actually what function in php or mysql
serves the purpose.

Shiplu Mokadd.im
My talks, http://talk.cmyweb.net
Follow me, http://twitter.com/shiplu
SUST Programmers, http://groups.google.com/group/p2psust
Innovation distinguishes bet ... ... (ask Steve Jobs the rest)