Recent Influx of Unrelated Discussions

    Also known as off-topic posts.  We're all guilty of them, but has
anyone recently noticed that there is a significant number (about 35%
of all traffic) that is off-topic?  There have been questions on
databases, JavaScript, WordPress, Apache directives, and more.... none
of which were even related to PHP.  Unfortunately, this is how
dilution occurs, which often causes communities to dwindle into a
defunct or otherwise low-quality state.  As those of you who have been
around for at least a couple of years know, we have continued to
thrive here because we're not strict on the topics of discussion, and
frequently [d]evolve into off-topic banter (particularly on Fridays,
as it used to be).  However, have you noticed the influx of extremely
low-quality and/or low-class posts to the list?  Couple that with the
ominous silence from the formerly-frequent contributors of
high-quality material, code examples, and community assistance.  It is
not a coincidence.

    This is an open list, and we don't moderate or censor any of the
discussions, but before it gets out of hand, I'd like to suggest a
moratorium on all off-topic posts through the end of this month ---
with the exception, again, of Fridays.  Which would mean that those in
agreement would participate in the hiatus by not only not posting
off-topic threads, but also not replying to those that are off the
general topic.  This isn't to say that threads can't still eventually
decay into a friendly discussion, as has always been welcome, but that
it shouldn't be the intent of a thread to seek assistance on topics
unrelated to PHP and PHP programming in general.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
UNADVERTISED DEDICATED SERVER SPECIALS