RE: How to alter the schema of a database to introducenewfeatures or change the current features

From: Pete Ford

> On 15/07/10 09:14, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>> ALTER TABLE is the way to go. If in doubt, look at the SQL phpMyAdmin
>> produces when you make the changes in there.
>>

> Yeah, scripting "ALTER TABLE" commands ... :)

We maintain two files for every schema, site_schema.pgsql and
site_delta.pgsql. Every time we modify the schema, we add the change
commands to the delta file. We also have markers in it for each build
number, so the update scripts can determine which changes need to be run
when a site is updated.

We use a similar technique on other systems that use Oracle or Sybase
ASA on the back end, but those are stored as a shell database and sets
of patch files for each build.

Bob McConnell