RE: updating a database

From: David Mehler

> What i'm trying to do certainly doesn't seem hard conceptually, but
> coding it has been rough. I'm wondering if anyone has anything
> similar.
> I've got a database with records. The first time the page is accessed
> the submit button won't be selected, so display information about the
> record with a checkbox for selection. If a user selects a checkbox and
> hits submit, display only that specific record in a form for editing,
> once editing is complete feed the edited data back to the database.
> I'd like all this to be done in a single sticky file.
> If anyone has any code similar to this i'd appreciate getting a look,
> mine is nonworking.

Mine looks something like this

-----8<-------------------------------------------
    $Submit   = $_POST['Submit'];

    if (isset($CCsubmit)) {
	////////  DELETE
	if ($Submit == "Delete") {
	    // Check to see if user authorized, then delete record

	}
	////////  NEW
	else if ($Submit == "New" || $Submit == "Next"){
	    // Issue empty form or next record

	}
	////////  EDIT
	else if ($Submit == "Save") {
            // Validate and ssve the updated data. Reissue if validation
fails.

        }
    }
    else {
        // Issue form with initial data

    }

You should also check in the Save option to see if anything was actually
changed. The record shouldn't be updated if nothing was edited.

Bob McConnell