Re: running out of memory processing result set on Linux, but not on Solaris

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 11:06 -0600, Larry Martell wrote:
>
> I have an app that runs just fine on an older Solaris apache server
> (Apache/2.0.53 PHP/5.0.4), but when I run the same app on a newer
> Linux server (Apache/2.2.3-11 PHP/5.2.8) against the same database on
> the same mysql server, it fails with "Allowed memory size exhausted".
> This occurs on a:
>
> $result = mysql_query($query, $db)
>
> statement. Both servers are running the identical query, which returns
> a result set under 0.5M. The Solaris server is configured with
> memory_limit = 8M in php.ini, and the Linux one with 32M, so clearly
> something other then what I'm seeing is going on. Anyone know what
> could be causing this? Any php or apache build or config options that
> I could look at?
>
> TIA!
>

> Is there any other place which your code is changing the memory_limit parameter? I would assume this is unlikely, but sometimes even the unlikely happens more than than it should!

The error message actually says "Allowed memory size of 3355432 bytes
exhausted" so I know it's using the 32M that it's set to php.ini. But
as I wrote above, on the Solaris server where it works, the
memory_limit is set to 8M.

> Can you maybe strip the code down to a test case which causes the error?

I've already done that - all it does it run a query and display the results.

> Lastly, I do notice that you've got two different versions of PHP & Apache installed on each OS, which could be the reason for the failure.

Well, yes, that's what I said. And they may been built with different
config options. But what options could cause a difference like this?

> Maybe set up a VM or two to test things out. Have one VM with Solaris and Apache/2.2.3-11 & PHP/5.2.8, and another VM with Apache/2.0.53 & PHP/5.0.4 and see what happens. It could be that it's either Apache or PHP or both
> causing the problems on your Linux system.

I don't have control of that. This is at a client site - they want to
get rid of their existing older Solaris apache server and move to a
newer Linux one. The servers are already set up they way they are. I
asked the admis for info on the build - they have it for the newer
Linux one, but not for the older Solaris one. They did give me another
machine to test on - that one is Linux, Apache 2.2.3, PHP 5.2.6 - that
also gets the out of memory error.