Re: State and City Database

At 2:07 PM +0200 7/9/10, Thijs Lensselink wrote:
On 07/07/2010 10:02 PM, tedd wrote:
Hi gang:

Does anyone have a source for a US State and City database?

Cheers,

tedd

Hey Tedd,

Maybe this helps. I used the data files for some other projects..

http://earth-info.nga.mil/gns/html/
http://geonames.usgs.gov/

LOL

Did you look at the name of the Executive Secretary on that page? Being dyslexic, I immediately read "You Lost", which seemed ironic for the USGS.

I know I asked in my post for US State and City database and did not mention zip codes, but that was something I was after as well.

Strangely enough, the USGS states that it's the U.S. Census Bureau who keeps the zip codes. But the U.S. Census Bureau says it's the US Postal Service and the US Postal Service points to private businesses such as:

http://www.zip-codes.com/

I was almost certain that the UP Postal Service had something, but I couldn't find it.

I'm not sure where I got my current database, but I think I'll just stick with it and allow the client to get a subscription for an update (if they want).

Here's an example of my copy working:

http://php1.net/b/zipcode-states/index.php

In any event, thanks for the link.

Cheers,