RE: Multiple Access Question

 -----Original Message-----

Any modern decent RDBMS should be able to do row locking.  IE, only 1 update to that row is possible.  But given the OP's question, I'd say this would be his scenario.  John & Jane coincidentally look at the same record.  But John gets distracted for a second while Jane updates the same record.  When John goes to update it, it may override the already updated record made by Jane.  I think the OP wants to know if there's a way for John to know if there's been changes to data since last seen as in this case.  You can implement something similar to ASP.NET's 'optimistic concurrency update'.  Meaning you'll have to cached the original data values somewhere.  Compare the 'keys' (not just PK, but some other important values/indexes too), if the values are exactly the same, then continue with the update.  If the data has changed, give a prompt to John, in this case, that data has changed since last viewed and show the changed data and possibly made by whom and probably give John the choice of override that same data with his update.  IMHO, this would be ideal for many situations including where the users are in different remote locations.  :)

Regards,
Tommy