curl help or other suggestion

I am trying to use register_shutdown_function.  Previous to the script
shutting down I use curl to grab a website.

Basically I want to know if the user has hit the stop button or left the
page prematurely.

The only problem is that curl runs and finishes its call before the
shutdown function is called.  Because of this I  have no way to know if
the user canceled the request somehow.  Any suggestions?

Mike