RE: is <?= good?

Technically it does have a microscopic speed increase, but unless you're
pumping out hundreds or thousands of lines (like in a loop) you most likely
won't notice it. In my code, I always try to use the proper quote marks
because I *am* dealing with huge tables of data. I've said this a hundred
times before, if you can shave off 0.001 from each row, then after 1,000
rows, you've shaved 1 second off the page time. That seems small, but that
shit adds up. Caching will help, as the page is already parsed once, so PHP
doesn't have to do the work again in many cases. To me, it's a good habbit
and costs you nothing to do.

The difference is that with " the PHP engine has to pre-process the string
and look to see if there's anything interesting it needs to do -- such as
replace any $var with their equivalents or \n or whatever else. A ' means
to use it as is, so PHP just spits it back out.

http://php.net/manual/en/language.types.string.php

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/482202/is-there-a-performance-benefit-si
ngle-quote-vs-double-quote-in-php

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13620/