Re: CakePHP, alternatives?

Tedd,

That was very very very helpful. I so agree with you on the A,B and C example that you have quoted. It not only boosts my confidence with the answers but so will the employer's.

I am reading this PHP for Dummies and then I plan to read Head First with PHP, MySQL, and Apache. Do you know any books that I can read online or I can buy? I would be happy to do that.

Also, I couldn't get much information about "Yojimbo". I would be very curious to know how you maintain your learning(s) in the very way that you mentioned in the mail. I can definitely try to implement it.

Regards,
Shreyas

Shreyas:

"PHP for Dummies" is fine as an start. As for "Head First with PHP, MySQL, and Apache" I don't recommend it -- the "Head First" line is a bit too "hip" for me. Instead, I recommend "Learning PHP, MySQL & JavaScript" by Nixon published by O'Reilly (most O'Reilly books are very good).

The first part of the book can be a bit scary for beginners, but it gives you the basics of how to set-up your development environment. However, starting on page 33 and from there on, the book provides an exceptional introduction into PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript -- you will need all three (plus html) to make a fully-rounded web application.

As for Yojimbo, that's a Mac application I use for keeping notes. I am sure you can find something similar in the windozes environment. The point being is to have somewhere you can cut/past snip-its of code for future reference. It really doesn't mean that you fully understand the code before making a library of it, but rather it's a listing of like-code that you can review to help you in your coding.

Another tip I give my students at college is to use the net for reference. For example, if you don't know what a term is, like "$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']" is, then Google it. I did and found:

http://php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.php
http://php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.server.php

in the first two links reported. That's more than enough to explain what it is.

And lastly, use this list for questions. However, be sure to: 1) Prepare your questions thoroughly. Often writing the question prepares you to solve it yourself; 2) Do you homework. Don't flood the list with questions that are easily answered by you just reading the manuals -- otherwise, you might get a RTFM reply. The list is for things that you don't understand AFTER you have done due diligence. 3) We are not here to write your code for you. If you post what you've done, we usually will reply with a cirque, but we only here to help *you* code.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------