Re: Credit Card encryption

On 1 June 2010 15:58, Paul M Foster <paulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 09:52:54AM +0200, Peter Lind wrote:
>
>> Just wondering: seems there's a bit of a misunderstanding going on
>> here. Are you talking about storing credit card information in a way
>> such that customers can do online transactions without entering that
>> information? Or are you talking about storing this information so your
>> own company can fill in the details on a monthly basis?
>>  If 1) then the above points apply and you should not store the data,
>> period. If 2) then I would assume the situation is somewhat different
>> - though, not knowing the laws from the US I wouldn't really know.
>
> No to #1, yes to #2.
>
> As for #1, companies like Godaddy do store this information, so I know
> it can be safely done.

As I noted above: the question is not whether it can be done, the
question is whether you want to be the next critter in the limelight
because *you* couldn't do it.
 However, glad to hear you're not looking to do this. That brings up
the next question though: what's this got to do with PHP? If I was to
store any information like this, I certainly wouldn't code my own
storage system with built-in encryption. I would rely on one of the
many adequate cryptography programs available, made specifically for
encrypting and storing data safely.

Regards
Peter

--