Re: NetBeans Question

At 6:01 PM +0100 5/30/10, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
This thread has made me want to have a look at the IDE. Will the base
IDE package be enough, or is there something specific it needs for PHP
development, like a netbeans-php package? I'm using Linux (Fedora 11)
btw ;)

Thanks,
Ash

Ash:

I'm really new at NetBeans and am having some minor questions I was keeping off-list -- however -- can go on list if there is interest.

As for specific needs that NetBeans requires being an IDE for php, they make a special one just for php, see here:

http://netbeans.org/downloads/index.html

Find the one that fits your needs, like the one that covers only php and download it -- that's what I did.

It's very easy to install and its learning curve is pretty easy. There are just some minor things that are not obvious, such as downloading a remote file to your local directory.

You see, I use two different computers and have two accesses to the same server. Occasionally, I may change a file remotely and my second computer needs to be updated. I know this could be solved via some version scheme, but I don't want to make a big production out of it -- all I need to do is download a remote file, but I didn't see an easy way to do that.

So, I searched for a couple of hours until I found someone said "Simply, right-click on the file locally and choose 'download' and you'll overwrite the file" -- that was simple enough. But I had to find out how to do it. These are the types of questions I have.

I wanted to ask my questions on the NetBeans forums, but I am having trouble logging in. They seem to have a problem with my given ID, password, and email address and I haven't the time to straighten it all out -- I just want answers -- so I turned to this list.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------