Re: Method documentation

On 5/27/10 3:15 PM, Adam Richardson wrote:
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Waynn Lue<waynnlue@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

I've seen @inheritDoc used in Java before, though I'm not sure about
the php support.

Waynn

You're absolutely right, Waynn,

Phpdocumentor has this, too:
http://manual.phpdoc.org/HTMLSmartyConverter/HandS/phpDocumentor/tutorial_tags.inlineinheritdoc.pkg.html

However, Netbeans (and I'm assuming other PHP IDE's, but I'm only using
Netbeans) doesn't parse the inheritdoc element so its info is available with
code-completion.  I think Larry was trying to find something that would work
for both generated documentation AND IDE auto-complete capabilities.

Adam

Correct. @inheritDoc sounds promising. However, of the three possible consumers (humans reading the code, IDEs reading the code, and documentation generators reading the code) the documentation generator is lowest priority; I figure whatever we end up doing we can write the script to handle it.

I'm getting the impression that we either say FU to people reading the code or FU to people using IDEs. :-( Either that or duplicate at least large swaths of the documentation (the shortdesc, @params, and @return at least).

--Larry Garfield