Re: displaying database output in a table

On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 13:16 -0500, Philip Thompson wrote:

> On May 25, 2010, at 8:27 PM, David Mehler wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I'm trying to display mysql database output in a formatted table. My
> > problem is i'm getting a blank screen with no errors. I've got
> > debugging on, and have run the cli php on this file which produces no
> > errors either, but neither does it give me any output.
> > My eventual goal is to select the two nearest future events to the
> > current date. Having done that I want to display the name, location,
> > start date, start time, and a summary. Right now though I just want to
> > put all information in the database in to a table.
> >
> > Here's the code. Pointers welcome.
> > Thanks.
> > Dave.
> >
> > <?php
> > require_once($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . "/dbconnect.php");
>
> I ran into a similar issue yesterday. Tracked it down and figured out the "required" file did not exist. It didn't show up in my dev environment b/c I had the file. When we pushed it to QA, the file had not been uploaded. The require_once() stops execution if the file isn't found. Try changing it to include_once() and see if you can _any_ output.
>
> Hope this helps.
> ~Philip

I'd tend to try and keep scripts as self contained as possible, so I can
get away with using relative paths which don't rely on variables in
$_SERVER. Also, I've been led to believe that $_SERVER variables are a
point of entry for injection attacks, so shouldn't be relied upon,
although I'm sure that's not the case for everything in the $_SERVER
array.

I think this is the reason why a lot of systems and frameworks have a
config file which require the paths to be set up completely, without
relying on these special global arrays.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk