Re: localize string (date)

Phpster wrote:
On May 22, 2010, at 12:07 PM, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At 8:00 PM +0100 5/21/10, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
What sort of format is that date, English or American?

For example: dd-mm-yyyy or mm-dd-yyyy?

Thanks,
Ash

Ash:

I don't think it's called "English" or "American" -- as Churchill once said "We are separated by a common language." Perhaps "British English" vs "American English", but I don't think that is correct either.

While America typically uses mm-dd-yyyy the *majority* of the rest of the world uses dd-mm-yyyy -- which I think is far more logical. However, there are regions who commonly use yyyy-mm-dd (i.e., China, Japan), which is also logical.

It seems that America is the only region who mixes the most- significant-digit order (big, little, and middle endians). I don't understand why it came about, perhaps it was one of those American Almanac articles like the one that claimed using double negatives was poor grammar which caused a significant changer in the language.

In any event, in all cases where it's my choice, I use the dd-mm- yyyy format.

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------

I blame Microsoft!

Personally I prefer to use yyyy-mm-dd since that is the format for many DBs

Bastien

For user centric dates I prefer dd-mm-yyyy because as others have pointed out it makes more sense from an order of significance. Additionally, in English it's about as common to say "it's the 22nd of May, 2010" as it is to say "it's May 22nd, 2010". For filesystems and other orderable text-based formats, I prefer yyyy-mm-dd because it sorts properly :)

Cheers,
Rob.
--
E-Mail Disclaimer: Information contained in this message and any
attached documents is considered confidential and legally protected.