Re: Content question

On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 13:07 -0400, Ernie Kemp wrote:

> This is not a direct PHP question but I will be using PHP in the
> website.
>

> After a website has been created there will a need to changes say a
> product or service page over time.
>
> The client asking how he will be able to make changes to these pages.
>
> Yes, I’m a newbie at this and the only way I can think of is to edit
> the page in say a HTML editor.
>

> Please comment how you might do it another way.
>

> Thanks very much,
>
> ..../Ernie

You need some sort of content management system (CMS) for it. For
something as simple as this it's not too difficult to build a basic app
yourself, or you could use a pre-built system such as WordPress, Drupal,
Joomla or PHPNuke.

If you've already got the site built as a series of HTML pages, it might
be worth converting those into .php files and then taking out all the
common elements and put them into include files. That way, if you need
to update the navigation bar, for example, you just need to edit the
navbar include file once.

I tend to store all the individual content for pages inside a database
and then pull it out as I need it. This makes it easy to add in features
such as a site search. I use the CKEditor rich text Javascript component
to allow the user to format their content (I often limit the options
available to them so they don't break stuff!) and give them basic
options such as adding content and updating content like that.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk