Re: opening a link in a new window

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>  On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 13:18 -0400, Adam Richardson wrote:
>
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Andrew Ballard <aballard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Ashley Sheridan
> > <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > No. PHP is on the server, not the client-side. If you can't use
> > > something like target="_blank" in your xhtml, then consider using
> > > Javascript. It's not the ideal solution, as it won't work where
> > > scripting is disabled or not available.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ash
> > > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> >
> > It may or may not be the "ideal" solution, but I'm pretty sure it is
> > considered the "correct" solution going forward. I recall reading
> > somewhere that things like controlling the "target" for a link are
> > considered behavior rather than part of the document's semantic
> > structure, and therefore belong in scripting rather than markup under
> > XHTML. That makes sense given that one of the goals of XHTML is
> > structured documents that can be consumed by multiple services,
> > including but not exclusively web browsers.
> >
> > This also has the side effect that the decision of whether to open a
> > link in the current window or a new window/tab belongs to the viewer
> > instead of the author, which some argue is exactly as it should be.
> >
> > Andrew
> >
> > --
> >

> I'd avoid the target attribute, as it's deprecated in the strict versions
> (and I'd avoid it for the reasons Andrew mentioned.)
>
> For reading, here's a nice resource to start with:http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200603/the_target_attribute_and_opening_new_windows/
>
> Adam
>

> There are still valid reasons to use it. On my own site for example, and
> links which lead outside of my site open up in a new tab/window. I link to a
> lot of other external sites often in my blog entries, and I think it's valid
> that these links open up in new tabs/windows so that my site is left open
> when they read the rest of the article.
>
> I guess I could add some form of indication that the link will open up in a
> new window though.
>

>   Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

The resource I suggested was focused on the use of the target attribute to
open a new window.

Yes, there are situations where opening a new window/tab are appropriate
(but, as you mentioned, you should always try to provide feedback that
clicking the link will open a new window.)  However, using javascript to
open new windows provides a solution that validates for both strict and
transitional documents AND separates behavior from content.

Adam

--
Nephtali:  PHP web framework that functions beautifully
http://nephtaliproject.com