Re: Re: PHP Application Structre

On 10 May 2010 18:17, Ashley Sheridan <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> 3} Unless the site is small and has few pages and applications, it is almost
>> impossible to maintain.
>>

> I disagree here. As long as there are useful naming conventions for all
> of the files (I've seen projects where files have been named 1.php,
> 2.php, etc. I wanted to bloody kill the developer who thought that was a
> good idea!) It can be easier to maintain, especially when working in
> teams, where one person can work on one area of the site and another
> person can work on another.
>
> It makes sense sometimes to have different files for different sections
> of a website. For example, blog.php, gallery.php, cart.php could deal
> with the blog, gallery and shopping cart sections for an artists
> website. Yes, it could all be achieved with one script handling
> everything, but sometimes when the areas of the site differ greatly, it
> results in a lot of extra code to deal with pulling in the right
> template and content parts. I've always favoured only including the code
> a page needs rather than a huge amount of stuff that it doesn't.

I doubt anyone is proposing the "one script with all classes and
functions" approach. Several files is obviously a preferable method.
How you structure the code is completely different though: do you
allow a user to run blog.php directly or do you funnel everything
through one file and then handle request dispatching through that.

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>