Re: Need login suggestions

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> Slightly OT, but I can't think of a better forum to ask this in.  I'm sure a
> lot of us here have at some point or another built a system that requires
> registration to gain access.  What I'm trying to figure is how to set
> different levels of access.
>

> We're building a large site for a school district, to be used by both
> students and parents.  When a student logs in, they gain some access to the
> site, and when a parent logs in, they gain access to other sections on the
> site.  That's all fine and dandy, it's the actual registration process that
> I'm having a hard time with.
>

> How to determine if a registration is a student or a parent.  Do I simply
> give them a check box (or other method) to pick from (student or parent) and
> hope they're being honest?  Has anyone here have to deal with that in the
> past, and would you be willing to give me some ideas of what you did?
> Thanks!

Ideally you need to be able to unambiguously identify either a student
or a parent, you're best bet is to go for student - thus try and find a
single bit of information that both a student and you know about that
student, possibilities are:

  student id
  class
  teacher
  year

and so forth.. if the person signing up has any of these things then
they must be a student.

Best,

Nathan