Re: Structured PHP studying

On Apr 24, 2010, at 7:14 AM, David McGlone wrote:

On Friday 23 April 2010 07:45:16 Michiel Sikma wrote:
On 23 April 2010 13:15, David McGlone <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is there a good strategy to studying PHP?

For instance, is there a way to break everything down into small
managable topics?

--
Blessings,
David M.

Just build what you want to build and look things up when necessary. The biggest part of learning any language is becoming able to creatively solve problems within its realm of possibilities, and that's something you can't
really learn just by reading and solving textbook problems. Hands-on
experience is a very important key to understanding.

Keep an open mind, ask people for answers if things get difficult, always assume that there's a better way to do something, and in a while you'll be
able to write perfectly decent programs.

This is the route I have been following for the past couple years and I have always assumed there is a better way to do something and that is, in a way
what makes me lose confidence.

I always feel like my code is crap and sometimes even ashamed to even show any
of it.

I feel the some way sometimes... when I look back on some of the stuff that I wrote when I first started compared to today.... it's amazing the difference in such a short period of time... But I take comfort in knowing that I have stuff looking nicer then it was when I started... I'm making progress :)