Re: How to do i18n better?

On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 19:17 -0400, Jason Pruim wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2010, at 6:55 PM, Andre Polykanine wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I posted this in the PHP-i18n list, however got no answer so trying
> > here).
> > We are making a blog platform (http://oire.org/) which is provided in
> > several languages (currently they are Russian, Ukrainian, and
> > English).
> > Now the i18n process is made as follows: we set a cookie on the site
> > and depending on it we select the language to display the site in. We
> > have three (currently) interface files: rus.lng, ukr.lng, and enu.lng
> > (for English US). the format is the following:
> > define ("MSG379", "Welcome!");
> > etc. I know that PHP does support somehow exporting the strings into a
> > .pod file. Maybe it would be better to do that? If so, how can I do
> > it?
> > Could you suggest me maybe a better solution than we currently have?
> > Thanks a lot!
>
> I've never actually had to do this... But one idea that I came up with
> is using the browser language in taking a best guess at what language
> to display... In other words, if the user's browser language is set to
> Chinese, you can be fairly certain they read Chinese :)
>
> And now that I typed that out, I realize that may not be what you are
> really looking for...  And that's when we get into the part where I
> can't help alot because I've never had to do it :)
>
> So good luck! :)

That's the check I did on the last site i worked on (vicestyle.com) The
user agent string is checked for a language and the site uses that. If
none is found (bearing in mind that there's no hard and fast rule about
what can go into a UA string) then it defaults to English.

Links within the site itself allow the user to change their language
afterwards, and you could store that in a cookie to it remembers their
choice.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk