Re: How define if javascript is on with php

On 16 April 2010 14:06, Paulo-WORK <pauloworkmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 16/04/2010 12:54, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 12:50 +0100, Paulo-WORK wrote:
>>
>>> Hello and thanks for any replies that this message may get.
>>> I have a issue to solve regarding PHP.
>>> My website relies heavlly  on jquery and does not dowgrade properly.
>>> I use codeigniter framework as this website has a backend .
>>> Is it possible to detect if js is on with php?
>>> And if so can it be set into a variable?
>>> Paulo Carvalho
>>>

>> Nope, Javascript is on the client side and PHP is on the server. The
>> server has very little knowledge of the client, and what information is sent
>> (browser type, etc) can't be relied upon because browsers are capable of
>> lying about what they are (in order to make themselves appear as IE for
>> example)
>>
>> JQuery should allow the site to fail gracefully into a non-Javascript
>> version, because of the way the framework is built.
>>
>> If this is something that you cannot easily do, why don't you just have
>> PHP output some sort of default message that the site does not work without
>> Javascript and use CSS to hide the rest of the site that requires script.
>> Then, in JQuery, it's simple to hide the message and show the site with a
>> couple of lines of code.
>>
>> However, I would recommend trying to get your site to fail gracefully if
>> it's possible, especially if it's going to be used by the public. Many
>> countries (including Australia, US and most of Europe) have laws regarding
>> accessibility now, and while the number of actual legal cases is extremely
>> minor, it's not a good thing to ignore. Not only that, but even looking at
>> the web stats offered by the W3C it shows that about 5% have Javascript
>> turned off. Think about the entire world population that represents and
>> suddenly 5% isn't such a small figure after all!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ash
>> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
>>

>>  Thanks for your replies.
> I have at this stage a redirect stating that this website requires js to
> work.
> the website is http://paulocarvalhodesign.co.uk
> I am a selfthaught wannabe developer and my goal to this private project is
> to create a aplication very similar to flash.
> This website does not refresh until you actually hit refresh button on
> browser.
> if i remove the redirect the pages will be all over the place.
> please see it for yourselfs
> sorry if my sppelling is not the best.
> Paulo Carvalho

The nicest way, in my opinion, is to simply display the alternative content
for the site and override it if Javascript is present. If it's turned off,
people will see your static content, and if it's on they'll get the full
experience. Having alternative content is important because it allows Google
to properly index your site.

Finding a way to check if Javascript is turned on while still in server side
is really unnecessary, since displaying alternative content and removing or
hiding it client side works just as well as redirecting to an alternative
page.

Michiel