Re: Little php code - error

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 12:17 -0300, Juan wrote:

> 2010/4/8 Richard Quadling <rquadling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On 8 April 2010 15:21, Juan <juan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Hi guys,
> >> I'm having trouble with the following little php code [0]. The output
> >> from the server is : "
> >> * Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '{' in file.php on line 27 *
> >>
> >> Let's assume that file.php is the file that is giving me some troubles.
> >>
> >> The structure is pretty easy to understand, however I'm not able to
> >> solve this. Could you tell me why I'm not able to run this code.
> >>
> >> I'm running PHP5, Apache2, and Ubuntu 9.10 with sqlite, as you could see.
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot,
> >> Juan
> >>
> >> [0] http://pastebin.com/xC4pFbfH
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> > http://pastebin.com/diff.php?i=2QbANWnS
>
> Thanks a lot people!.
>
> It's solved.
>
> Juan

The easiest way to spot these sorts of problems is by indenting the code
so that the opening brace matches up with the closing one:

function
{
    if(condition)
    {
        statement
    }
    else
    {
        foreach(var as var2)
        {
            more statements
        }
    }
}

Yes, it takes up a lot more lines, but a few line break characters
aren't going to impact on the size of the file, and all the while it's
very easy to read. If you've accidentally missed out a closing brace
you'll spot it immediately.

It's called the Allman style and has another advantage. Consider:

if(condition)
{
    statement
}

You can comment out the if statement and the braces won't cause an
error:

//if(condition)
{
    statement
}

Whereas doing the same with the BSD KNF style that many favour you would
hit a problem of mismatched braces:

//if(condition){
    statement
}