Re: OO Design Formally

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Daniel Kolbo <kolb0057@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello PHPers,
>
> I've been doing the programming thing for about 10 years now: amateur
> side gigs turned into ten years pretty fast.  I think i have a fairly
> strong sense of object oriented design, data modeling, etc...  However,
> sometimes I wish I had a stronger academic understanding of the design /
> planning phase of new systems.  Then I could be absolutely certain my
> design is correct before investing mega $ and time into the
> implementation phase.  I think I'd save myself a lot of time and
> frustration if I could improve my designs before I started
> coding...obvious right?
>
> Well, i've read the wikis, the forums, the blogs, etc...  I think i need
> a text book.  I'm looking for an OO design methodology recommendations
> which focuses on churning out reuseable / flexible deliverables.
>
> I'm not afraid of getting all academic about it either.  It is about
> time I really got down into the nitty gritty of "proper" OO design methods.
>
> I'd appreciate any recommendations as for improving my OO design
> approach/methodology.
>
> Thanks,
> dK
> `
>

> --

*Nice books for all skill levels, but not focused on PHP (still applicable)
:*
*
*
http://www.amazon.com/Head-First-Object-Oriented-Analysis-Design/dp/0596008678/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270428919&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/First-Design-Patterns-Elisabeth-Freeman/dp/0596007124/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270428919&sr=8-3

*Nice PHP-specific books (very practical):*
*
*
http://www.amazon.com/PHP-Action-Objects-Design-Agility/dp/1932394753/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270429041&sr=1-24

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-PHP-Patterns-Frameworks-Testing/dp/1590598199/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270429041&sr=1-17

*More Academic*:

http://www.amazon.com/Patterns-Enterprise-Application-Architecture-Martin/dp/0321127420/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270429181&sr=1-1

*Functional Bliss (now PHP 5.3 offers more functional programming
capabilities, so it's nice to see how other languages leverage the paradigm
;):*

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Common-Lisp-Peter-Seibel/dp/1590592395/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270429493&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Erlang-Software-Concurrent-World/dp/193435600X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270429533&sr=1-2

There are others, but I limited my suggestions to books I own.

Adam

--
Nephtali:  PHP web framework that functions beautifully
http://nephtaliproject.com