Newbie Question about Conditionals

Hey all!
This is probably my second post on the list, so please be gentle. Right now
I am running through the "Heads First PHP and MySQL" book from O'Reilly.
It's been quite enjoyable so far, but I have some questions about some of
the code they're using in one of the chapters.

Basically the code is retreiving rows from a DB, and I'm just not getting
the explanation of how it works.

Here's the code:

$result=mysqli_query($dbc,$query)

while($row=mysqli_fetch_array($result)){
echo $row['first_name'].' '.$row['last_name'].' : '. $row['email'] . '<br
/>';
}

Now, I know what it does, but I don't understand how the conditional
statement in the while loop works. Isn't an assignment operation always
going to result in a "true" condition? Even if mysqli_fetch_array($result)
returned empty values (or null) wouldn't the actual assignment to $row still
be considered a true statement? I would have sworn that assignment
operations ALWAYS equated to true if used in conditional operations.
Please help explain! :)

Thanks so much!
-Matty