Re: using UID in DB

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Paul M Foster <paulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 01:36:27PM -0700, Tommy Pham wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm just wondering if anyone on this list using some type of
>> UID/UUID/GUID in any of the DB?  If so, what DBMS/RDBMS are you using
>> and how many rows do you have for the table(s) using it?  What data
>> type are you using for that column?
>
> If I understand you correctly, I use a single table, "users". Either
> MySQL or PostgreSQL (depending on the application). There is one record
> per user, and that record contains a serial/sequential ID, set by the
> system, a user ID which is varchar(8), email address which is
> varchar(255), username which is varchar(50) and a password which is
> varchar(32) and stored encrypted.

Hi Paul,

In the case of mysql, it would be UUID and the value would look like this:

22ea1df1-3c40-11df-ab7a-200cd91e08cf

and the case of postgresql,

A0EEBC99-9C0B-4EF8-BB6D-6BB9BD380A11
{a0eebc99-9c0b-4ef8-bb6d-6bb9bd380a11}
a0eebc999c0b4ef8bb6d6bb9bd380a11

which is 36 CHAR length (including dashes not braces) and is not quite
like identity insert (autoincrement).  You could store it as
binary(16) - in mysql - but you'll need to implement UDFs to convert
between binary & char.  Is that what you're using? or Are you using an
INT type?

Regards,
Tommy