Re: Converting funky characters

On 03/29/2010 01:22 PM, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 07:24 +0530, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
On 03/29/2010 07:22 AM, solo hsi wrote:
>  i think you just need function urldecode()....
>
>  On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Skip Evans<skip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  <mailto:skip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>   wrote:
>>  Hey all,
>>
>>  What's the best way to filter/convert characters that don't
>>  translate properly from say news stories to HTML?
>>
>>  For example, I have a form that people cut and paste the lead
>>  in paragraph from news stories they want to link to from their
>>  sites to the original. And of course things like long dashes,
>>  double quotes, single quotes, etc, always translate is wacky
>>  unprintables when they are rendered, and the user needs to
>>  edit them to replace them with standard characters.
>>
>>  Is there way to filter this text through a function that will
>>  convert them to web friendly chars?
>>
>>  Thanks,
>>  Skip
>>
>>  --
>>  ====================================
>>  Skip Evans
>>  PenguinSites.com, LLC
>>  503 S Baldwin St, #1
>>  Madison WI 53703
>>  608.250.2720
>>  http://penguinsites.com

No, only urlencode() won't do the job. He's saying more about the long
spaces and quotes, etc.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site&  Server Administrator

I wrote something that converts these characters, which you'll most
often find when copying text from MS Office:

http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk/coding_php_remove_ms_crap.php

The second argument to the function just tells it to remove all the
hidden meta tags that MS Office chucks into text that you copy into a
rich text box in a web page, as this can really mess up how the content
is displayed in a web browser.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Nice one. But not of use to me. I use geshi on my site, so cannot use WYSIWYG editors. Instead I've BBCode and WikiCreole (PEAR Wiki) input formats.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator