Re: Please guide in selection of Framework: according to your experience

On Sat, 2010-03-27 at 11:15 +0530, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:

> On 03/27/2010 09:58 AM, Vishal Rewari wrote:
> > Dear PHP community,
> >
> > I am vishal, I have recently started development in PHP
> >
> > I have come across these PHP frameworks:
> >

> >     1. Codeigniter
> >     2. Symphony
> >     3. CakePHP
> >     4. PEAR
> >

> > Please guide me which one of them is *good in performance ? available
> > functionality ? Easy to use and configure* or the one you would recommend
> > according to your experience.
> >

> > My DB is MySQl, or should I stick to native call from PHP?
> >

> Since you're new to PHP, you should not directly start off with
> frameworks. I agree, using frameworks makes the job infinite times
> easier, but as a learning point of view, you should first try to build
> some applications (not to sell or freelance!) from scratch without using
> any frameworks. You can of course use minimal PEAR packages.
>
> This way you will get a lot to know how to write efficient PHP code. Yes
> this will take time, but in future you may be one of the best developers
> coding PHP out there !
>
> Lastly, PEAR isn't a framework, though combining various packages out
> there you can make one :)
>
> First try Zend, its the easiest to use as far I've seen.
>
> I have tried Symfony too, but I found it a little tougher to start with.
>
> --
> Nilesh Govindarajan
> Site & Server Administrator
> www.itech7.com

As far as frameworks go, I've found CodeIgniter very very easy to work
with, but I do agree with Nilesh, you should begin by writing code
without a framework first. This is because any framework adds an extra
layer to your learning, which obviously makes it more difficult for you.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk