Re: Recommended Books on Object Oriented Programming

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Ben Stones <stonesben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to properly learn object oriented programming as I've been coding in
> procedural style since I started with PHP a few years ago, and want to give
> OOP a shot. The web isn't really a good resource to learn OOP in PHP to be
> honest, as a lot is outdated for PHP4's style of OOP. I've looked into OOP
> quite a bit and understand the concept of it, and want to take it further.
> Any recommendations appreciated :).

I think the Head First Object Oriented Analysis and Design book is a good
place to start.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-QpmamSKl_EC&dq=Head+First+Object+Oriented+Analaysis+and+Design&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=9hKqS6LUKNP__AbXl8CAAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=&f=false

For PHP, a book I really liked was:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=LWkGyWErOq0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=Web+applications+PHP+And+MySQL&hl=en&ei=KROqS9jWAtCM_Ab5isC1AQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

A very clear route to developing OO PHP applications.  There is a sample
winestore application in the last section of the book.

You will still need to use the Web as these books become out of date as soon
as they're published.  I recommend to focus more on the thought process
rather than the actual code in the books.

To really grasp OO in PHP, I recommend checking out a popular open source
PHP Application and go through the code.  A CMS or a framework should
suffice.