Re: Will PHP ever "grow up" and have threading?

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 03:38 -0700, Tommy Pham wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 3:31 AM, Stuart Dallas <stuttle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I did give a real life example, ie e-commerce site mentioned earlier.
> >> Amazon has the similar features of my example except they have about
> >> 30 million products without (i18n).  Their I18n is different web
> >> server & db & site layout which is completely different from my
> >> example.  Setting I18n aside, having the same features as my example
> >> with about 30 million products to response in about 3 seconds is very
> >> good.  Even though my example only have about 750,000 products, the
> >> translations for the requested languages makes it into 750,000 * 6 =
> >> 4,500,000 rows of product descriptions.  This is e-commerce site not a
> >> data warehouse/mining.  What would happen then if the site has over
> >> 20,000,000 product skus with similar language translations for the
> >> descriptions?  20,000,000 * 6 = ... big number to me...
> >
> > How exactly will threading in PHP help with the size of the database? That makes no sense to me, please help me understand how you think threading will help in this scenario.
>
> Looking at my example, not just the rows....  There are other features
> that require queries to a DB for simple request of a category by a
> shopper,  instead of running those queries in series, running them in
> parallel would yield better response time.
>

> > Database size issues are tackled with clustering, caching and DB optimisation. Threading in the language accessing the DB has no advantage here.
>
> Yes, it does.  As mentioned several times, instead of running the
> queries in series, run them in parallel.  If each of the queries takes
> about .05 to .15 seconds.  How long would it take to run them in
> serial?  How long do you it take to run them in parallel?
>

> > -Stuart
> >
> > --
> > http://stut.net/

The database is still a bottleneck. Now instead of processing one query
at a time for a PHP script, it's processing 3 because you want them
processed in parallel. Now the database is struggling with 3 times the
work to complete in the same amount of time.

Threading hasn't helped that much here, you've just moved the problem to
an area which is already generally considered the bottleneck in most
applications.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk