Re: another question on setting include paths for a project

On 23 March 2010 16:39, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010, Richard Quadling wrote:
>
>> However you want to identify the location, the autoloading techniques
>> will allow you to only need to identify the location once. As compared
>> to every file meticulously maintaining relative links to files.
>>
>> So, for testing, would this not work?
>>
>> RunTests C:\Dev\Checkouts\PROJ\trunk\tests
>> RunTests C:\Installed\PROJ\V1.1\Tests
>> RunTests C:\Installed\PROJ\V2.2\Tests
>> RunTests C:\Installed\PROJ\V3.3\Tests
>>
>> sort of thing?
>>
>> And in RunTests, you set the location based upon the $argv[1] (using
>> the autoloader technique).
>>
>> No env_var. No include_path.
>
>  sure, but deep down, you're still doing what i'm claiming has to be
> done at some point -- *explicitly* identifying the target location.
> you're just doing it in a different way, which is fine and might be
> what i'm after.
>
> rday
> --

> Robert P. J. Day                               Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>
>            Linux Consulting, Training and Kernel Pedantry.
>
> Web page:                                          http://crashcourse.ca
> Twitter:                                       http://twitter.com/rpjday

You could of course simply look in the entire file system for a key
file, but ... well ... maybe not!

The thing about an env_var is that it is pretty much no different to
an INI setting in this regard.

By having the setting "closer" to the code using it (i.e. I see the
location in the batch file used to run the testing, I see the location
in the require_once() line in the main script), it is easier to see
the location. An env_var or an ini setting is quite some distance away
from the code and may seem "magical".

What I'm not sure is how you can ever get away without explicitly
declaring the location unless you always put the files in the include
path.

--
-----
Richard Quadling