Re: Code samples in OOo Presenter

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 07:14:56PM -0500, Larry Garfield wrote:

> On Sunday 21 March 2010 05:41:55 pm Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>
> > > I don't like any of these options. :-)  I don't know what the alternative
> > > is, though.  Ideally I'd love to have a custom text region or format or
> > > something that is "take this and highlight it properly", but I don't know
> > > if such a plugin exists.
> > >
> > > I could be talked into using KPresenter / KOffice instead if that would
> > > be easier, but as I am on Linux I have no access to KeyNote or
> > > PowerPoint.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > --Larry Garfield
> >
> > Could you use highlight_string() on the code example in a web page then
> > copy that from the browser and paste that into your presentation? It
> > should then preserve the formatting used on the browser display, and let
> > you easily modify the font size.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ash
> > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
>
> I will have to see if OOo preserves formatting when I do that.  However, that
> still leaves the problem of highlight_string()'s colors being rather poor for
> on-screen.  Are those easily configurable?  That would at least give me a
> decent result, kinda, even if it's not as clean as doing it all within the
> presentation program.

I think Ash's idea is brilliant, though I probably would show the code
from within the browser, rather than importing it. Also check the
user-supplied code under both the highlight_string() and
highlight_file() function at php.net:

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.highlight-string.php
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.highlight-file.php

There is also code there to provide line numbers, which would be very
useful for presentations. There are some hints about how you might
change the colors.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster