Re: any reason *not* to use PEAR DB module when accessing mysql?

On Fri, 2010-03-19 at 10:17 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> (just a warning -- as a relative newbie to PHP, i'll probably have
> the occasional dumb question.  just humour me.)
>
>   i'm looking at some existing PHP code that accesses a mysql 5.0 db,
> and it's coded using the mysql-specific calls:  mysql_connect,
> mysql_select_db, etc, etc.
>
>   is there any reason i *wouldn't* want to rewrite that code using the
> more general PEAR DB module, and use mysqli?  certainly, as i read it,
> using the PEAR DB module would make it easier down the road if i
> suddenly decide to change the DB backend.
>
>   anyway, any compelling arguments for or against?
>
> rday
> --

> Robert P. J. Day                               Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>
>             Linux Consulting, Training and Kernel Pedantry.
>
> Web page:                                          http://crashcourse.ca

The only problem I can foresee is if the system you're looking to
replace the mysql calls in uses any specific mysql-only features and
functions. So, for example, not all database types support grabbing the
last inserted id (and grabbing the MAX(id) is just asking for trouble)

Have a look through the code to see if there any database calls that you
think might throw up any issues. I believe the Pear module supports all
the mysql functions, but there might be issues if you want to change the
back end at some point in the future.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk