Re: Spreadsheet_Excel_Reader problem

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
> And I believe that when MS Office saves a CSV out with a character other
> than a comma as the delimiter, it still saves it as a .csv by default.

Nope. If you save as CSV, it is comma-separated with double-quotes as
the text qualifier. There is also an option to save in tab-delimited
format, but the default extension for that is .txt.

The only issue I have with Excel handling text files is with columns
like ZIP code that should be treated as text (they are string
sequences that happen to contain only numeric digits where leading
zeros are significant) but are interpreted as numbers.

Andrew