Re: protecting pages with a login system

On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 11:40 -0400, David Mehler wrote:

> Hi,
> I am wanting to protect some pages by requiring a user to log in to
> access them. I'd prefer this be as simple as possible, and without
> requiring a database.
> So for example when a user goes to www.domain.com/example.php they'll
> get a page prompting for their log in credentials, and only after
> providing them will the page display. I'd prefer to avoid basic
> authentication dialog boxes if possible.
> Suggestions appreciated.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

By basic authentication dialog boxes, do you mean the sort that come
with password protection added through the use of an .htaccess file?

If that's the case, then you're left with authenticating the same way
you'd do it with a database, but using some sort of flat file storage.
Ideally, this flat file would be kept out of your web root for
protection.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk