Re: Need routine to tell me number of dimensions in array.

maybe you should be foreach()ing with references?
php.net : search "foreach" :

As of PHP 5, you can easily modify array's elements by preceding
$value with &. This will assign reference instead of copying the
value.
<?php
$arr = array(1, 2, 3, 4);
foreach ($arr as &$value) {
    $value = $value * 2;
}
// $arr is now array(2, 4, 6, 8)
unset($value); // break the reference with the last element
?>
This is possible only if iterated array can be referenced (i.e. is variable),