Re: how to upload large file ( bigger than 1G) with PHP

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's not much trouble to map the FTP to a file and have the right permissions, and FTP is a doddle to set up on a server. I'd say a darn sight less work than rolling your own mechanism in Java.

Well, mechanisms already exist. We're just trying to create a cleaner
one that works with the browser's DOM so it looks native in the
browser, has the chunk support, etc.

FTP servers can be "easy" to setup but mapping who uploaded what and
keeping that secure is a pain. Do you use one generic account, or one
random account per user? If one generic account, how do you keep
others from downloading someone else's content? etc? Lots of questions
come to mind. But lunch is more important... :)

> Lastly, I don't think firewalls are that big an issue, as most firewalls I've seen will allow outgoing FTP connections from a users computer by default.

Must not deal with that many corporate firewalls :)