Re: DOMElement: td vs. th

function readyForDOM_report($originalReportAsText) {
  return str_replace ('<th', '<th class="transportTH"', $originalReportAsText);
}

$dom = new DOMDocument();
$dom->loadHTML(readyForDOM_report($str));
$tables = $dom->getElementsByTagName("table");
$rows = $tables->item(0)->getElementsByTagName('tr');
foreach($rows as $row){
   foreach($row->childNodes as $node)
        // check $node for having a classname 'transportTH'.
}

the only problem i foresee is <th>s in your reports already having a
class="something" set, which could mess it up. you'd need to check
that. but in that case you can always pump the original $str to the
DOM, and use multiple $k's from foreach ($arr as $k=>$v) to get to the
corresponding node, and have the original class name.