Re: Database design

Angus Mann wrote:
> Hi all. I know this is not strictly a PHP question but the code will be written in PHP, and I figure the folks here will be well versed in the questions I raise. Please feel free to contact me off the list if appropriate.
>
> I need some assistance with database design for a project I'm coding in PHP. I'm willing to pay for the advice, since I think it will be a bit complex. I plan to use MySQLi
>
> If anybody feels they can assist, or can point elsewhere please feel free to contact me off list, or reply to the list if you think appropriate.

Best tip I can give is to model out all your data first (using UML or
suchlike) then figure out the tables to hold it from that; your database
should not dictate the model of the data; also if you design to a model
then your codebase need never change when it becomes time to change to a
different RDMBS or even a completely different way of persisting your
data :)

regards!