Re: Mysql statement works in phpmyadmin but not in php page

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Joseph Thayne <webadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Actually, the syntax is just fine.  I personally would prefer it the way you
> mention, but there actually is nothing wrong with the syntax.
>
>> The ,'$date1'"." is not correct syntax, change it to ,'".$date."'

My personal preference these days is to use Curly braces around
variables in strings such as this, I always find excessive string
concatenation such as is often used when building SQL queries hard to
read, and IIRC there was performance implications to it as well
(though I don't have access to concrete stats right now).

In your case, the variable would be something like this:

$query="INSERT INTO upload_history (v_id,hour,visits,date) VALUES
({$v_id}, {$hour}, {$visits}, '{$date}')";

Much more readable and maintainable IMO.

No need for the trailing semicolon in SQL that uses an API like you
are using so save another char there too.
Backticks around column names are not required and IMO again they just
make the code hard to read. Just because phpMyAdmin uses them, doesn't
mean we all need to.

Cheers