Re: PHP User

Hello,

Depends on what you're looking to do.

For intermediate PHP I like

PHP Object-Oriented Solutions by David Powers (friends of ED)

The focus is on PHP 5...not sure if anyone outside of shared hosting uses
PHP 4, but worth a mention.

Regarding PHP In Action,
This might just be me personally, but I found PHP In Action to be a somewhat
difficult read--the authors really focus on nuance and try to show a "shades
of gray".  This means discussions on how PHP is different than Java, how PHP
5 is different than PHP 4, how this solution is subtly different than that
one, etc.  If you are new to ideas on both sides of the comparison, the
multitudes of comparisons can become a little tedious.

Basically, I would NOT recommend this book if you are trying to get a
refresher on syntax or are an amature/part-time programmer.  However, it
does have quite a few worthwhile sections--the authors are obviously
familiar with software design and the book is literally littered with
references to Folwer, GOF, TDD, Beck, etc--that try to bring in best
practices (largely from Java) to PHP (5).

Apologies for the rambling, both books are on amazon with a number of
reviews.

Cheers,
Tim