Re: PHP generated HTML has submit button which picks up the wrong url.

Ashley Sheridan wrote:

Bit of advice though, don't use Javascript to submit a form. Firstly,
Javascript isn't available on all browsers, and on those it is available
on, not everyone has it turned on. The W3C has the stats for Javascript
being unavailable in a browser at about 5%.

Yup.
Just the other day a company lost my business because after registering for their web site, the login form did not work w/o JavaScript. Interesting that the registration form itself did.

A freaking login form that had nothing but an e-mail address, password field, and a button that was not a standard submit button, but a html button elements with a JavaScript event attached to it.

There was no valid reason for them to require JavaScript for that, I do not mind allowing JavaScript for local server if the site is of value to me but the fact that they used JavaScript for a submit button in a form that had two very standard fields told me that they did not know what they are doing, indicating they probably did not have their site properly protected from XSS injection, and I'm not going to white list a web site that I have reason to suspect may not have proper server side protection against XSS injection.

My guess is they don't even have a web master but are using some cms that autogenerates everything for them, which probably means any input validation is rather weak.

Use JavaScript when it is the best tool for the job. It is not the best tool for form submission. Client side form validation, sure - it's nice for catching problems before the user submits so he doesn't have to submit again, but not for the submit action itself.